Ray Mears or Bear Grylls

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Ray Mears or Bear Grylls

Post by Badger on 15th January 2014, 05:53

Just a bit of fun for people to voice which one they feel is better and for what reasons;   

Okay well I will start with my opinion......
Ray Mears everytime for me, since he fully explains everything he does and the reasons behind it;  Cool  He may come across as safe but that's fine, he shows you how to use minimal effort to achieve your task.  

Bear does have similar knowledge but he is more of a showman and to be honest he seems to take unnecessary risks???   Shocked   I do realise that this comes down to the producers of the show and what they want to portray..... but at the same time I feel that someone of Bears standing would say "no! I'm not climbing up a 250 foot waterfall! It's irresponsible to show this to our audience!" The producers wouldn't argue with him since he is the expert and frontman of the show.

My favourite is Les Hiddins actually, the original 'Bushtucker Man' but lets stick to Mears or Bear because Les is in a different league;
Badger

Back to top Go down

default Re: Ray Mears or Bear Grylls

Post by Ady on 15th January 2014, 06:07

They both have vast knowledge, I have to agree that the TV show did that Bear was a complete nob, and took far to many risks, but the other thing is also that in Bears TV show, he stayed in hotels over night. 

Ray Mears, has to be the best presenter in his fields, he gives really good demonstrations of his skills, and as for staying hotels like Bear, i don't think they build hotels where Ray Mears does his programs, 

Ray for me it the one, Id rather be surviving with Ray than Bear, there again Being with Ray wouldn't be surviving, it be luxury instruction and enjoyment

Please Donate to the Forum...

Click to call me
  http://social.oovoo.com/call/paranoid092/276/0
Ady

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul on 15th January 2014, 08:20

ray mears for me , he seems down to earth , bear grylls is a little hyper for my liking , jumping off cliffs ect, cutting open a camel and sqeazing the moister out of its bowl contents for a drink  affraid not my cup of tea ,
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Toten VT on 16th January 2014, 11:33

Mears v Grylls, hard choice, tree hugger or slash and burn styles of the 2 i'd rather not make a choice as both have good and bad points. For me the best choice is to selectively take the best from each and discard the too risky, after all its not survival if that drop below you could break a leg or worse just to save a couple of hours travelling time.

Mears tends to be extremely cautious in all he does, Grylls is forever spouting about the special forces ............ but if you watch many of the survival programs on tv the special forces approach doesnt actually work to well as its geared to combat more than actual survival. Survival is about the maximum gain from the minimum expenditure on calories, more akin to the adverage poachers style than that of a tv presenter out for good viewing figures.

I'd be more inclined to suggest reading, watching, learning then developing your own way of doing things rather than blindly following a "star"
Toten VT
Instructor
Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post by Badger on 20th January 2014, 04:18

Great replies  Smile .   Plenty of valid points; A very good point made about the special forces too, In the case of the British Army.....they will make you hump and march if it has to be done, but whenever possible they try and conserve energy so then you are more productive in whatever they are tasked to do.

Bear is definitely a showboater, and he kinda gets on my nerves to be honest, and i heard about the hotel bookings too! Very disappointing when you look at some of the locations; I would much prefer a night under the stars.  

No denying that they both got talent, think it just comes down to who is more approachable, friendly and who you wouldn't have put in a shallow grave by dawn!!!!  Laughing
Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Toten VT on 6th May 2014, 18:19

Badger wrote:

No denying that they both got talent, think it just comes down to who is more approachable, friendly and who you wouldn't have put in a shallow grave by dawn!!!!  Laughing
Theres more meat on Ray Mears, take a lot of Tabasco sauce tho to hide the flavour of tree hugger Razz
Toten VT
Instructor
Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top